Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shopping and Projects Past

Today I went shopping to more than one store for the first time with both of my kids. Everyone got up at 7:30 and by 9 I had them fed, dressed, and in the van! The only thing that got skipped was my coffee, but that's what Dunkin' Donuts lattes are for.

The shopping went really well. I parked in front of Kmart and we walked, well Alice rode in my Ergo Baby Carrier of course, but Finn and I walked all the way to the Dollar Tree at the other end of the plaza without incident. I scored some really great home school supplies. I'm planning on trying to make Finn's day a little bit more structured. Then we went to Kmart and picked up a few essentials and some more home school stuff. Finn was excellent the whole time.

So, what I bought:
Easy grip triangle crayons, drawing pad, hair ties (Finn steals all of mine for bracelets), foam boards I plan on cutting into shapes, alphabet window clings, pom poms, fruit puzzles, a workbook, a 10 pack of tiny tupperware and a handy carrying basket (Finn chose the color). Yay for activities. Finn is currently stuffing pom poms into the tupperware and emptying them back out. 

Now, on to crafty things. I took a few photos of my favorite projects I did over December/early January.
These two were my favorites. The top is a little sewing kit that holds a spool of thread, needles, pins, a thimble, scissors, and a tape measure. The original pattern called for it to be reinforced with plastic canvas. I didn't have any, so I used some super thick fusible interfacing. I think I would love it even more if I had stuck with the pattern since it's a little less structured that I would like.

The bottom is my knitting roll; although it's currently also housing my crochet hooks. I made this pattern for my mom for Christmas so that she could retire the Ziploc bag she had been keeping her knitting needles in and I loved hers so much I made one of my own. It's super simple to make and can be made using four fat quarters, fleece interfacing, binding, and a bit of ribbon. I made mine with three fat quarters from Walmart ($2.98), scrap fabric I had lying around (which I used for the blue pocket and bias tape), and ribbon I already had. This is the type of cheap, super useful project that I really love. I just wish I knew more people who knitted so I could gift more of these.

The sewing projects I have on deck are maybe someday hopefully finishing the PJ top I'm making for my friend Marcus, a bobbin roll (for my lace bobbins), and a little bag to hold Finn's jingle bells that he has so much fun counting. I also want to start working on embroidering a piece of fabric to make this hussif. I'd like mine to be a little more modern, but this pattern looks like a great starting point.

By the way, my favorite place for finding great craft ideas is Tipnut!


No comments:

Post a Comment