Saturday, April 6, 2013

Handmade Handkerchiefs

I went into Finn's room the other day and discovered that he had torn a huge hole in his fitted sheet! I could have patched it, thrown it out, or made something out of the fabric. Yay for handkerchiefs!
Big hole.



So, I just took this crib-sized fitted sheet and cut it down into 10" x 10" squares. I ended up getting 14 out of the sheet after cutting around pieces that were too small or had holes and were unusable.

Squares.
Next I hand-washed the squares, bleached them and then let them soak in some bluing. The sheet was a little yellowed and most of the stains were yellowish, which is why I decided to use the bluing.

Bluing!

Drying unfinished squares.
 Then all I did was fold over 1/4" all the way around and zig-zag it in place. I don't have any pictures of the finished handkerchiefs, but I'm sure you can picture it. They're not perfect by any means, some still have stains, but how fancy do snot rags have to be? Tim refuses to use them but I've been using them myself and having Finn use them. They're really not that gross once you get used to it and I never have to go hunting for a box of tissues.

I won't bother trying to fancy up this batch since the fabric isn't that nice, but if I make more as gifts I'll trim them with lace and/or embroider something on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment